Thursday, September 28, 2006

Business trip (Sept 27-28)

Yesterday and today were spent at the Board of Education Center in Omura for a 'business trip'. About 30 English teachers from around the Nagasaki prefecture attended a workshop on how to conduct debates. The prefecture is trying to introduce debates as a way to increase students' ability to communicate in English. There are 6 ALTs (including myself) who were invited to help with the workshops.

The meeting was scheduled to start at 9:30am. By 9am, everyone had arrived (participants, ALTs, head of the Board of Ed, organizers, MC etc...). People were already seated, and making small talk with those sitting around them. Around 9:27am everyone fell silent at the same time...Anywhere else, the organizers might have suggested they start a little early since everyone is already there and ready to start. But not in Japan. Everyone sat still, no talking, no moving for like 3 minutes (felt like forever). As soon as the bell off went (why there's a bell at the Board of Education center..I don't know..) the MC stood up and read from her script ('We will now begin the opening ceremony. Welcome to 'Work on English' seminar.')

I often find myself in awe of how well things are organized and how carefully everyone follows a very detailed plan in everything they do. But sometimes, I find the exactness with which everything is always done a little tiring. Sitting during those 3 minutes before the meeting began was one of those times.

Overall, the seminar was a success. The representatives of the Board of Education received a lot of good feedback and seemed very pleased during our debriefing on the second day.

On both days, we finished early compared to when I usually leave school. Once the program for the first day was done, one of the teachers and I went to get a haircut. She'll be going to a wedding next week, and I just needed a trim.

After the haircut, we went to get some purikura done!

When she saw me with straight hair, she said I should go to the meeting the following day with the new hairdo. I agreed, so for the rest of the evening was careful not to get water anywhere near my hair so that it stays straight for the next day.

I woke up in the morning with my hair sticking up on the side of my head...I don't own anything to help straighten my hair (including a hair dryer..) so ended up just going back to my regular all-over-the-place-hairdo kinda look. So much for the new hairdo.

The evening of the second day, Iwata san came over for our regular Japanese / English lessons. She's such an extraordinary lady! I love her so much...she's like a mom to me here in Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home