Monday, August 21, 2006

Spent the night at Oozaki's place

Supplementary classes resumed today. When I arrived at school, the staff room was bustling with the coming and going of teachers.. almost all the teachers were already there. The table in the tea room was overflowing with omiyage (mostly sweets) courtesy of the teachers who had traveled during their holidays.

The students who had gone to Australia accompanied by 2 Japanese teachers on the homestay returned a couple of days ago. Miyamoto sensei brought me back from Australia a beautiful aborigine cloth.

Fukuno sensei, knowing the sweet spot I have for chocolate, brought me back some delectable Lindt chocolate.

While at school today, I got a call from Oozaki sensei, a teacher from Bunko. The last time I was at Bunko (over a month ago), he had invited me to come to his place to meet his wife and children. Because our schedules were so busy during the summer holidays, the earliest we could set to get together was today.

Oozaki sensei is one of the kindest people you'll ever meet, he just radiates kindnesss. But he doesn't speak much english. When he called this morning to arrange when to meet, I didnt realize that he intended that I spend the night at their place. I was planning to go to volleyball practice this evening, the first time since getting the cast off my thumb. But maybe it's just as well I don't go, to give my finger more time to heal..

Around 5pm, Oozaki sensei came by the school and I followed him to their place in Omura. They have a large house (by Japanese standard) in a beautiful part of Omura city. His family consists of his wife, 3 daughters (Yumi 20 years old, Emi 18 years old, Masami 8 years old) himself and their 2 dogs. He has such a nice family!



We went to pick up their youngest daughter from her volleyball practice. I never cease to be amazed at the endurance, determination, dedication...the whole gambaru attitude of people here. It's cultivated from such a young age.

When we arrived back at their place, we were treated to a beautiful sunset..


Oozaki sensei inquired a number of times about what I’m able to eat, and mentioned several times that his wife was worried about what they should prepare. The food was delicious! There was a huge bowl of rice, nori and plenty of different fillings to make your own sushi. After dinner, we set off fireworks, and stayed up till 1am just chatting. I think my Japanese is improving! I had a lot more fun than I thought I would.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home