Thursday, January 25, 2007

The English level of the teachers I work with is fairly high and and I make it a point not to use any Japanese in class. So as a result, I don't get much opportunity to practice my Japanese while at work. Although my Japanese has improved by leaps and bounds from when I first arrived here (due in large part to the fact that I knew almost nothing when I first got here), I feel that my Japanese should be much better than it is after having been here for as long as I have!

I've been looking into 2 or 3 week Intensive Japanese Language courses to help up my level. I've found one with the YWCA in Tokyo which seems decent and is reasonably priced. (http://www.tokyo.ywca.or.jp/ryugakusei/eng/others.html) Although I've submitted the application for it, I haven't paid yet.

I explained to my supervisor that I was interested in taking this course, and asked if it might be possible to take kenshyu (study leave) instead of nenkyu (paid holiday) for the two weeks I'd be spending in Tokyo. She said that many years ago, they used to grant kenshyu to ALTs, but this changed maybe 5 years ago when they found that it was being abused by many. She said she will bring it to kyoto sensei (the vice principal) and see what he says.

He said that it should be ok for me to use kenshyu! But he will check with the Nagasaki prefecture and will have a meeting with kocho sensei (the principal) and the head of the secretary's office, then let me know what the final decision is. It would be nice not to have to use 10 paid holidays for this course! We'll see what happens.

On my way home from school, I stopped by the hyakun en (100 yen) store and ran into some students of mine.

They wanted to do purikura together since there was a machine just a few feet away. I think this is the first time I've taken pictures with students, they were really cute!


Iwata san came over this evening, bringing with her some tea she bought while she was in Africa. I find these informal Japanese conversation classes with her very useful. She's always so upbeat and full of energy...! She has a special love for Korea, having traveled there a dozen times, studied the language and taught Korean classes at community centers (still does). A Korean graduate student will be doing a 2-week homestay at her place. I might be meeting this girl when she arrives as well..we'll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home