Thursday, October 19, 2006

Uchida sensei

I got a text message from Uchida sensei while at school today. A couple of weeks ago, she had asked me whether I wanted to join her and some of the tennis club members on a trip to Sasebo this weekend for cheering the members who will be participating in a tournament.

I was surprised that she wasn't at school today, but figured she might have a business trip or something. I got another text from her saying to call her. I gave her a call, and when she picked up she sorta whispered her hello. I asked if she was all right, she answered she's doing much better now, thank you for asking.

'Better? what happened?' I thought. It turns out, her father passed away on Tuesday. It must have been announced at the morning morning the following day, Wednesday. However I'm usually at Bunko on that day so didn't hear about it.

I figured it out without her knowing that I didn't know at first...(I think). I wish my supervisor had told me about it today...!

Uchida sensei won't be back at school till next Tuesday, but wanted to know if I was still wanting to go to the tennis tournament. I was surprised that she still intended on going! She said it would be nice to have the company if I'm not busy, and I would love to go.

When someone passes away, it's customary to offer money to the family of the deceased in specially wrapped envelopes. At funerals I've attended, I was told that usually people offer about the equivalent of $40, though if you are a close friend it's more... Also, it is considered bad luck to offer new bills. For funerals you should include old, wrinkled looking bills. The opposite is true for weddings where people expect to receive new shiny bills.

Anyways, Kitano sensei said that at the morning meeting yesterday, it was announced that Uchida sensei requested that the teachers do not trouble themselves with the money offering custom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home